St. George’s may be small in size, but it is large in spirit.
The church was built in 1873 on land donated by John Jennett and under the leadership of the Rev. W. Bates. Before that, services were held at the corner of the 25th Sideroad and Concession 5 under the big willow tree, as well as in homes and at the school.
As a rural church, axle-deep mud in the spring and stormy weather in the winter have occasionally cancelled services over the years. On March 24, 1940, the minister came to service on snowshoes.
In 1998, St. George’s celebrated its 125th anniversary with the installation of a baptismal stained glass window. It was given in tribute to the people who laid the foundation of the church and those who have faithfully continued to worship here.
1914 saw the first St. George’s Strawberry Supper, a much-anticipated annual event ever since. The forerunner of the ACW (Anglican Church Women) started in 1919. Continuing in that tradition, the ladies still hold fundraising events such as catering and the annual bazaar.